HomeServicesRequest ServiceArticlesFAQContact UsAbout UsTestimonialsProject Portfolio

Septic System FAQs

What should I do after I have my system installed?

Keep the as-built plan that shows the location of your tank and leach field in relation to your home. This will help guide your service provider should any repairs be necessary. You’ll also need a diagram of your septic system when you are considering any home renovations, landscaping projects, or new parking places and driveways.

Will I need ongoing service?

Yes, you will need to have excess solids pumped out of the septic tank on a regular basis. Mayo Industries, a licensed septic pumping contractor or your local health department can give you exact guidelines for you home and locality.

How often will I need to have my tank pumped?

An average family of four should have their tank pumped every one to two years.
Holidays, parties, events, cooking styles will also have an impact on septic systems.

If there are no major changes in your household and your usage is stable, you may want to consider a regular pumping schedule for best results with the least worry.

Can I build over my septic tank?

This is never advisable and is against most municipal codes. Do not build any additions, pools, driveways, or undertake any other construction work near the repair area, septic tank or leach field.

If I think there is a problem, should I open my septic tank?

NO! Though septic systems are safe for your family, opening the septic tank without professional training can expose you to dangerous gases and bacteria. Call a certified and trained septic professional if you detect any problems in your system.

Are septic systems safe for my family?

When properly installed by a professional and certified contractor, septic systems and other onsite treatment systems are highly effective and safe.   Septic systems are a proven solution to handling household sewage and wastewater onsite while meeting a high legal standard for protecting human and environmental health.  For more information from an independent source, please contact your local health officials.